Conflict has been defined as a “struggle or contest between people with opposing needs, ideas, beliefs, values, or goals” (Thakore, 2013, p. 7). Conflict is certainly a familiar phenomenon for managers. Conflict can arise between coworkers and competitors alike. Thus, no two sources of conflict are the same. Managers must therefore learn not only the skills for managing conflict but also possess the wisdom to know when conflict can be conducive to positive outcomes. This module will examine how to recognize various forms of conflict within your organization, discuss the reasons why we tend to avoid conflict, explore ways to establish a safe environment for employees, and distinguish between positive and negative conflict.
- Learn how to foster constructive conflict within your organization
- Understand the concept of psychological safety and establishing it with employees
- Examine reasons for conflict avoidance
- Distinguish between the types of intergroup conflict
- Learn the different types of technology conflict within organizations